In life we meet people and remember them for various reasons. They are KNOWN!
Today I’d like to take some time to talk about being known. Specifically, HOW are we known. What do people remember about us in our daily life that allows them to know that we are there for them, or for someone they know and love when help is needed?
If you know me personally, you know that I have a heart for both people and animals. I’ve taken in many pets that have came to our family as strays, or from other families that were no longer able to keep the pet, and adopted them as my own into our family. Some of these pets I’ve devoted a LOT of time and energy into in order to help them become tame, or more people friendly. (Not to mention working with them to understand a new way of living that they weren’t familiar with, and so much more.)
If I didn’t have a heart for these beautiful animals, that my Papa, God, seems to surprise me with in my life, I wouldn’t:
1. Be who I am today
2. Love them for the animal that they are
3. Devote time, energy, money, and love into them, all of which I’ve been blessed to share with
4. Have a safe home, shelter, and vital provisions to share with them that which they need
It’s been said that I’m “an animal whisperer”. I guess I do believe that it is true, because I seem to have a gift with animals that I really can’t explain, to anyone OR myself! It’s just that way! I know that I’m to abide in the gifts we are given, and give my time and attention to the animals freely. Sometimes it’s not easy though. But more often than not, it’s a pure blessing for both I and the animals. Guess you could say that we are all impacted for the better, the animals and myself!
What about human beings? Well, human beings are a different species altogether, lol! They aren’t like pets, obviously. They are much different, and can be a LOT more complex, probably more than not!
A while back an old friend contacted me. Long story short, she was asking for some of my family and I to help a friend of hers in a “sticky situation”. Since I and this friend talk maybe 1-2 times a year, I was surprised to hear from her! But, when she shared WHY she was calling… I then understood why she’d specifically contacted me. She knows that I and my family had a heart for people that literally NEED help. She knew that she could come to me, trusting that I would help her friend, if needing more help in this specific situation. I listened while she talked and told her to “keep me in the loop” if anything more was needed. In the meantime, prayers were the biggest need, and my friend knew that I would pray for the situation.
This brings me to the question that I want to ask EACH and EVERY one of us. What are we known for? Not in an arrogant, prideful, or a higher place than anyone else kind of way. But a kind of way that is open, honest, and with awareness of what we are really doing in life, where our energies are spent. What are we known for?
Right now, I’d like each of us to stop and think of 5 different people in our lives. Think about what stands out the most about these individuals. What are they known to YOU for?
I’ll share 5 different people that come to mind without saying who any of these people are. Furthermore, I’m going to share what truly stands out the most about them… not in a bad way, but in a way of why or why wouldn’t I go to them in a certain situation.
- This individual is someone that genuinely loves people. This individual will serve them to the utmost ability in a way that is God honoring. They love others unconditionally.
- This individual stands out in a way that they are unreliable with the communication process. When contacting them, they choose not to contact back, to not communicate. Through ample opportunity, I’ve learned that they are unreliable and not the type of person I choose to have in “my inner circle”. Note, this is said respectfully, because they have good characteristics, but this is one characteristic that stands out, that I can’t rely on them for quality communication.
- An individual that likes to have a good time. Having a good time is great, by all means. But to me life is full of much more than having a good time. I can count on many individuals that I know to go and have fun with, but when it comes to a more serious note nearly everyone of them isn’t whom I would go to to talk about the serious ponderings of my heart.
- This is someone that knows a lot, about a lot of different things that is helpful in guiding others. This individual has a lot of life experience in many different areas, having gathered a lot of knowledge and skill to know how to do many different things. This individual has lots to share, someone that I’ve learned from and am thankful for.
- The individual that contacts you only when they need something. I’m guessing by now that you’ve probably ran across at least a FEW of these individuals? This individual is one to contact when they want something, whether it’s knowledge, help, or support. I’m sure they mean well even on their hardest days, but their lack of concern or care in my life is, honestly, disappointing at times.
Please note that I’m NOT putting down any one of these individuals of people that I shared above. I’m simply using them as examples to help us create more awareness for people in our lives, people who we can probably count on in a certain situation, when we need advice, or know who will support us unconditionally, etc.
Right now I want you to think about 5 qualities about yourself that you think people know and remember about you. Write them down. Seriously. Then, after finishing your list of 5 qualities and reading this blog to its completion, I want you to ask 3 different people to share 5 qualities about you that stand out the most to them. I want you to do this for them as well. Explain what you are doing and then if you want, you can also share this blog with them.
What’s the point in doing this?
1. To bring awareness to WHY, WHAT, and HOW we do/think/say things in our life.
2. So that we can learn to interact with people in more mindful, intentional, and compassionate ways.
3. To share love, kindness, empathy, compassion, knowledge, support, and even share our friends with others!
Newsflash! Life isn’t meant to be spent with only one group of people. Life isn’t meant to keep your friends all to yourself. Life is meant to be filled with people that you know you can go to in such a time, in a certain situation, and those that have your back no matter what. Not everyone in life has this. I know. And that’s okay if you don’t. Papa God uses this lack of friends in a beneficial way; to keep our eyes on Him, to trust the process we are in, and to love ourselves regardless of having others’ walking alongside us. Rest assured, if this is you, “Your time is coming.”
People come in and out of our lives for seasons of time. No season of time is wasted in what we remember and take in about people that come into our lives. Wouldn’t you agree? I know people that I can count on, that love and support me, and who are willing to help me in different areas of their lives. Do you know these kinds of people in your life?
This blog’s main purpose is to create awareness around who you can count on, who your people are, who you can communicate with, who you trust, who is willing to be a friend, who contacts you for whatever reason(s), etc. I ALSO wanted to bring to light, that “EVERY last one of the people are in our lives for a reason”. Some people are patience testers! Right? Some people are awesome friends. And some are people, you know you can count of for how many various reasons as well!
Today, I would LOVE it if you would do one last thing. I want you to reach out to 3 other people (they may or may not be the same people I asked you to name 5 qualities on) and tell them what stands out about them to you. Whether or not they are the same people, I want you to tell these 3 people that are near and dear to you how much they mean to you. Tell them what you love about them, and why you are so glad they are apart of your life! Share a memory or two of some great memories shared together, or things that just standout to you about them. Have FUN with this and enjoy an opportunity to connect with a loved one. I can tell you right now, you and they will BOTH be blessed by doing this activity!
I’m going to leave off saying something I TRULY mean. I’m really thankful for the time you and I share together here on the blog. Some people reading this are from overseas. Some are in the same state or town. And others, in other states and countries. No matter where you are located, I’m really thankful we can connect. We are connected here for a reason and I hope that you are blessed in our connecting here on the blog. Have a beautiful day and be a blessing!